NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Introduce Myself

Posted 10-29-2023 09:45 AM
    Hello to the group, I am a new member for the last few years and the principal founder of At The Helm Training based is Stuart Florida.  I have been a USCG licensed mariner for over 40 years and worked as a Captain in the private yachting sector logging some 300,000 nautical miles.  During this time, the industry has grown to a scope I could have never imagined when I got into the business in 1979.  We realized the private sector of the 30 ft to 65 ft vessels lacked in any real standardized formal "hands on" training for new boat owners or the ones that are moving up over 10 feet in boat length.  We also train the NSBC small boat handling courses.  The insurance companies are getting more stringent on coverages, they require either a USCG licensed Captain to be employed (which can be a financial burden that will block the owner from buying a boat) or ownership of extended time on a similar size vessel. So in that light ATHT was founded. I am a veteran and served during the Viet Nam era and also a FAA Private pilot.

I was introduced to NASBLA when we started this quest as in my sector of the business, it was an unknown entity.  This organization has helped us navigate the path to improving our training and facilitating us to achieve higher standards.  I am proud to be a part of NASBLA and hope to continue in a more active participation role. We are the  principal sponsor in the up coming International Boating Water Safety Summit this coming spring being held in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

I love the water and the peace and tranquility it brings to me from wading in a trout river, floating on a pontoon boat on a lake, to traveling on a yacht to the crystal waters of the Caribbean.  The boating business has made me love every day of my work.  I also love flying bush planes and hope to get my float plane rating this winter.

Now I want to focus on making boating safer and getting more involved with any NASBLA programs that I am allowed and meet as many of you all as I can.  When I realized NASBLA was based in Kentucky I knew it was a good organization as I am originally from Missouri and raised in a farming community.  Mid-west values!

IMG_3785.jpeg