NASBLA Roundtable

View Only
  • 1.  Jet Cars

Posted 02-13-2024 09:06 AM

We (Maryland) got a request for a livery that wants to rent Jet Cars.  I can't find out much about them on line, as far as regulations.  We are finding they are considered "boats", so would assume they must have all the safety features a boat would have.  This means the green, red and all around white light.  Most videos and photos I find online do not show these.  So, they would be for day use only?  Do any other states have these boats being rented out?  Or do any of you know more information on the boats?  I did see they are US Coast Guard approved, but can't find anything on their website about them.  Thanks!!!

------------------------------
    [Donna] [Seymour]
    [Boating Safety Coordinator]
    [Maryland Natural Resources Police]

• 2.  RE: Jet Cars

Posted 02-14-2024 09:03 AM

Donna

To my understanding, the JetCar is just a PWC/Jet Ski that has a different outside shell.  It does not drive on the road and launches as you would a jet ski.  So, I would expect that whatever state and federal requirements exist for operating a jet ski would apply to the JetCar.

Duane Smith
    CEO
    Sextant Strategic Consulting

• 3.  RE: Jet Cars

Posted 02-14-2024 12:27 PM

Florida has a few liveries who rent these type of vessels.  We do not classify them as personal watercraft as they don't meet our state definition of a PWC.  In our state they would be allowed to operate at night as long as they have the appropriate equipment.  Let me know if you need any additional information on how we classify these.

Rachel Bryant
    FL Fish & Wildlife